View Single Post
17 Nov 2010  
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Baddcog View Post
This is supposed to be easy?

OK, first I have a desktop, win 7 pro 64. I never thought I'd own a laptop, need networks so I might have disabled something at some point.
(I've disabled everything I don't need for performance reasons - game/graphics rig)

It has 2 ethernet connections. 1 is to modem. 2 is open.

I recently bought a laptop, win 7 home premium 64.

So time for file sharing. Bought a crossover network cable.

Trying to set up a home network. Works on the laptop, but going through all the troubleshooters and all I get on the PC is 'cannot add home network to this computer'.

I can see and get into my PC from the laptop, but the PC won't register a network OR my laptop. (I actually want the opposite as it's easier to use the PC for transfers/work/etc...)

None of the troubleshooting in Win7Pro PC is working, any ideas?

(I've set both clocks to internet time, I have everything open to file sharing on both machines)

==edit

I did just notice that when I turn on file and printer sharing in network & sharing/advanced settings and hit save changes,

everytime I reopen the window it's set back to off. Doesn't matter how many times i turn it on and save, it always gets turned off again.
The problem is in bold. Once you disable those services all bets are off on the network sharing being functional until all your required networking services are all enabled and set to automatic.

You shot yourself in the foot by doing that and disabling those services doesn't do much to improve system performance.

The reason that file and printer sharing isn't staying on is because you disabled the service it requires.
My System SpecsSystem Spec