View Single Post
22 Nov 2010  

7 Ultimate x64 SP1

No problem, I'm glad to offer any help, tips or suggestions I can. I know how frustrating networks can be... it's no walk in the park (particularly in multiple OS versions/Editions as what I'm running), but as I've said... once you've done it the first time, it becomes a cinch after that.

You just have to mess with all of the different settings (in the basic menus, you don't want to even touch the advanced because that's where you can really, really screw things up). Eventually, whatever the problem, it will work itself out.

Now, to continue...

For altering the necessary data fields required to get your home network actually up and running, you will want to go to Start > (Left Click on) Computer > Properties.

Scroll down and you will see: "Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings".

Click on "Change Settings".

Enter the computer's name if you haven't already - be sure it's unique from the other one or you won't be able to tell them apart over your network).

Now, click on "Change.." (the last option on this same screen)

It will take you to "Computer Name/Domain Changes"

Make sure "Member of" is selected for "Workgroup"

Then simply enter the name of your NETWORK here (for example, mine is "ACTIONTEC" - the name of my ISP Modem so I can't ever forget it, and if I ever did I can just look at it and go "oh, Actiontec - OK" etc).

After you have done this on your primary PC, go ahead and do the exact same procedure for the secondary PC, being absolutely certain that the "Workgroup" name is IDENTICAL on both systems.

Providing these same values are identical in the NETWORK CONFIGURATION menus, your network will now function and you will SEE your other Computer listed in the window explorer menu tree, and be able to access them remotely from one another.

If not... we'll cover that later.
My System SpecsSystem Spec