View Single Post
30 Nov 2010  
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mml33 View Post
Trying to setup an external USB drive for media streaming to several devices. Im trying to set this up via SMB through router.

Problem is I would like to keep some away from certain folders and one away from ALL sharing.

Ex.

PC- ALL shared.
Laptop 1- "Family friendly" folder only.
Laptop 2- No access to anything. Would prefer they be invisible altogether.

Would creating different USER accounts for the "safe" folders and another for "all" be the best way ?

On my router , if I use the "guest" option for WiFi access will that exempt them from seeing available shared folders ?

Lastly If i decide to add personal files at anypoint is there anyway to stream media from a Bitlocker protected drive via NAS ?
That is correct, to share files with only certain users you would need to set up a seperate User group then share through that User group.

The guest account on your router will prevent the "guest" from accessing any shared folders or files on your network.

I might also add that once you change the drive over from another machine you will need to use the Security tab, if you want everyone to have access to the drive you will need to add "Everyone" where the picture below shows it.

Attached Thumbnails
Best method for secured sharing ?-sharing-entire-c-drive-authenticated-users.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec