View Single Post
15 Dec 2010  
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Odd Job View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, thinking about it, it might be best if I hard wired an access point on the other floor. Her bedroom is directly below my study (we live in an upside down house with the bedrooms downstairs and living quarters upstairs), so all I would have to do is drill a hole through my study floor and run a cable down. I know I could run the cable direct to her PC but if I run it to an access point/bridge then the wireless would be available to other machines (PS3, laptop, etc).

Would this work OK, and can you get a "wired" access point or bridge ?
In bridge mode it's set up wirelessly and allows you to plug in to the bridge with an eithernet cable to get your connections. It's more like a wireless switch when it's in bridge mode, the good thing is that you can plug into it with hardware that doesn't have wireless adaptors. My Dlink DAP1522 has 4 Lan ports for this.

In AP mode you need to plug it in to a regular wired eithernet switch then place it in an optimum location for the best wireless signal. After that it's a wireless access point.

If you can just run a long eithernet cable through the floor from the your router to her machine you would be done. Or you can add in a regular wired Gigabyte eithernet switch for more machines to plug into.
My System SpecsSystem Spec