View Single Post
01 Jan 2011  
Victek

Windows 7 x64

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by codyw View Post
I posted the following on the Norton forums and have not heard any replies yet...

Then, a few days ago on one of my other PCs, Norton let in a nasty rogue called Adware Professional. Norton flagged the download safe and flagged the program as safe. This rogue was a little different from others because it did not tell me I was "infected". Instead, it pounded the machine in the background with malware, adware and other junk. SONAR never picked up on this which in my opinion it should have. I have never heard of such a thing happening like this! All of the people that I have helped are now calling me complaining of being infected because of Norton.
First of all people's computers are not becoming infected because of Norton Internet Security, but because the systems are being attacked and more often than not the users are complicit. Perhaps that's obvious, but I believe how the problem is framed is important. That said I take your point that NIS is not intercepting these attacks and that's a legitimate concern. I don't know why, but many general spectrum AVs do not successfully block fake AV malware and rootkits. It is necessary to use additional tools, such as MBAM, SAS, and HitmanPro to deal with these. I also now regularly scan with Kaspersky TDSSkiller when cleaning systems. In my experience NIS can detect and flag the TDSS rootkit, but it cannot remove it. If there is another AV/Suite that can reliably deal with rogues and rootkits I would definitely test and ultimately switch to it, but so far none of them do AFAICT. I'm open to suggestions though. Meanwhile I like that Norton Internet Security is light on system resources, installs and uninstalls very quickly and does a good job of automating protection to reduce user participation to near zero (where it needs to be).
My System SpecsSystem Spec