View Single Post
13 Jan 2011  
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vidiot1 View Post
Hey Ignatz, just wanted to thank you for the info. I have abandoned WLM and switched to Thunderbird. While it was not easy I was able to set it up and import my address book. Still cannot get those old e-mails from Outlook Express, but I am now working on that in Thunderbird! Feel free to slap me upsdie the head for not following your advise when I saw it posted in someone elses thread two days ago.

Thanks again, issue somewhat resolved?
Probably a good move to go with T bird.

It still might be a good idea to look at dbxtract.exe because EML files might be easier to import into T bird??

I can't recall all the sordid details of my move to T bird, but I do recall that the mail import functions were still problematic. I could not import my address book and had to manually recreate it. I was able to import messages, but ended up with a cuckoo folder structure which I later got ironed out.

I remember that it was advantageous to import as few folders as possible.

Thunderbird lives in 2 places:

C Program files (this is the application per se; these are the installation files)

C users yourusername appdata roaming Thunderbird (this is where your email and T bird profile is installed). You can backup your email, accounts, configuration, and profile by simply copying this Thunderbird folder to a safe location.

If you then reinstall Thunderbird at some later date, you can transfer your old email, accounts, and profile to the new installation by copying this backed up Thunderbird folder to C users yourusername appdata roaming on the new PC (overwriting the T bird folder created by the new T bird installation). Much simpler---you don't have to go through that export/import hell that you have been working on. All of your personal mail related stuff is in that one folder under C users, including your address book.
My System SpecsSystem Spec