View Single Post
14 Jan 2011  
unifex

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Punitha View Post
Changed to maximum no of processors in msconfig.
I should warn you that this might actually slow you down.

Assuming that you mean that you actually went to the boot tab of msconfig, checked the Number of processors box, and then chose the number from the drop down menu, then I recommend to undo. This means, go to msconfig and make sure that the box Number of processors is unchecked.

Basically, the problem is that new Intel processors are hyper-threading. For example my laptop has the i7 processor. This is a quad-core, but with hyper-threading the number of virtual processors is 8. The msconfig does not know about it and the maximum number there is still 4. But if I choose 4, then the OS sees only 4 virtual processors, i.e. 2 physical cores. As a result, the system runs significantly slower.

Apart from that, reinstalling the OS is always an option, if you have time for that. Multiple AV is certainly a bad idea, and although you seem to be running just one for now, make sure that you don't have another "real-time" anti-malware or Windows Defender or something like that, one real-time security application is certainly enough.

It was mentioned several times on the Forum that with 2GB the 32-bit OS runs better than the 64-bit OS. Indeed, 2 GB is the minimum required amount of RAM for the 64-bit OS according to Microsoft, so maybe running at the minimum is indeed not the best solution.

Hope this helps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec