View Single Post
08 Jun 2009  

Windows 7 x64 (RTM via MSDN)

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ccatlett1984 View Post
I can tell you from the organization that I work for, we have ~1000 pc's that need to be upgraded. They are all <P4 2.8ghz. Over the last year with the whole economy thing, we had to cut the budget and the first thing to go was the funds for upgrading pc's.
My organization still has P3's in the inventory. We just completed upgrading RAM from 128 to 512 MB on about 800 systems. Our inventory ranges from P3-800 mHz 512 MB systems to 2.4 gHz CD2, 4GB RAM. We have about 3500 PC's currently and 80% are 3 years old or older.

Like your organization, new PC's are only purchased for replacement of non-repairable systems. We just completed a whole company move to XP last June. We still had approximately 400 Win98 systems operating. It's actually quite embarassing.

The only reason I run Win 7 on this laptop is that I have convinced my local IT guy, that I can fix any problems. I also am on the hook for fixing systems locally, so he doesn't have to make the 50 mile drive out here. I'm calling it a long term beta test. A Vista or Win 7 migration isn't even in the plans for the next 3 years. I think they are going to be in for a shock as the newer systems start arriving without XP drivers. That will either force their hand, or they will hold on to old hardware even longer.

My System SpecsSystem Spec