View Single Post
11 Feb 2011  

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit

How to Break the 2TB (2 TeraByte) File System Limit |

However,, I think,,, depending on what version Intel Board you have, you may or may not have the ability to Use Raid 5 with Intel Rapid Storage Technology. Not sure which boards have that, I thought that I read somewhere it would be available on some boards.

and this excerpt is the best route if you must..

Breaking 2TB Option 3 – Use Standard Partitions and Create Multiple Volume Sets within a RAID array. A RAID array itself can be larger than 2 TB without presenting a volume set larger than 2 TB to the operating system. This way, you can use older file systems (that support only 2TB) and still have RAID 5 protection and more than 2 TB of total storage. To do this, put all 5 drives into a RAID set and create a 2 TB RAID Level 5 volume set — this will leave 2TB of the RAID set unused. Then create a second 2 TB RAID level 5 volume set. Boot into your operating system, create a partition on each of the 2TB virtual drives, and format each of the two 2TB virtual drives. The disadvantage is that there is not one single, large 4TB partition. The advantage is that 1) backwards compatibility for the file system and partitions and 2) they are both part of a RAID 5 array and are protected from single drive failures and only 1 drives worth of storage is sacrificed for RAID parity data.
So, if all you have is Raid 1 or 0 ,,, You can still do it, you will just have to create multiple arrays.

I have read many studies that say with Intel Rapid Storage Technology or Intel Matrix Storage, whichever you do have,,, doesn't matter if you use Raid 1 or 0, you will not see a speed increase
But, I say try it yourself, cause studies versus real world are apples and oranges.

What I can say, is the increase is noticeable, and worth it, but not mind blowing.
Raid 0, does make a difference under certain circumstances.
My System SpecsSystem Spec