View Single Post
13 Feb 2011  
Cr00zng

Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit, OSX Maverick

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
I would not waste SSD space with the Recovery Partition. Make the disks now if you haven't already and then store the partition as an image. It will likely lose its hotlink to run from boot on the new SSD anyway, which is it's only residual value after disks are made.

Likewise the EISA partition cannot be counted on to continue its hotlink to any utilities which are linked to it. And I would not waste expensive SSD space for this partition either since it provides only driver storage and possible hotlinks to bloatware factory utiltiies which have much better versions built into Win7 OS.

What this is leading to is considering a clean install using a Win7 installation DVD for your version and the Product Key on the COA sticker. This is a much superior install which loses the factory bloatware which weighs down the lightest, most instantaneous OS ever. Here are tips for getting a purrfect reinstall of factory OEM: re-install windows 7

If you decide to reimage or clone I'd only transfer over the C partition. If either HD or SSD are WD or Seagate they offer excellent free Acronis cloning apps on their Support Downloads webpage. And Here are tips for cleaning up factory bloatware you can use ahead of time.
The "C" drive is and has been clean from factory bloatware; it didn't come with much and had been rather easy to cleanup about a year ego.

I use Windows and Macrium image backups. The SSD does come with Acronis and some cables for cloning; however, the plan isn't to clone the whole drive.

The only partition that is planned to be moved over is the "OS" or "C" drive from the disk 0. While I can do a quick format of the SSD drive and restore the "C" drive on it, I am not sure if the restore would change the SSD alignment since the image is from HDD?

The more I look into this, the more I think that the best way would be is just start from fresh install. It'll be a royal pain to reinstall all of the applications and the associated data. Since this is a small business PC, the data is critical for the end user. Just migrating Outlook could be a pain since the person has about 10 email accounts setup and may not remember all of the password for the accounts. And unfortunately, Outlook 2007 and later does not backup/move passwords by default...
My System SpecsSystem Spec