View Single Post
31 Mar 2011  
Shootist

Windows 7 Pro x64

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CLassicD View Post
Your thought is correct, although it is possible Microsoft says this is only suited to a test environment.

ProfilesDirectory

Your desktop is part of your profile including your Documents, videos, Downloads etc and they are not designed to be moved. My solution would be to mount the new volume so you have more space, this would enable the drive to be under the same drive letter and also appear that your Primary partition is extended.
Sorry but the Documents(My Documents)/Video/Music and whatnot folders most certainly can be moved to another partition or physical drive. In fact it is quit easy to do right from the Properties of the Document and other folders and it is design that way. No special trickery needed. It is built into the OS.

Now as far as the Desktop I'm not sure it can or should be done.

Best is to tell your friend to instead of placing those files on the desktop place a shortcut to them on the desktop. That way he still has ready access to them but only uses a few KBs of space on the C boot drive.

Not sure why so many people end up placing all kinds of stuff on there desktop. Other then Program shortcuts.
My System SpecsSystem Spec