View Single Post
01 Apr 2011  
pooch

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post

I have a Thermaltake BlacX enclosure at home and at work that is USB 2 and eSATA.
Mine is called Icy box HDD docking station

Unless you are plugging in SSD drives into your enclosures, the 200MB/sec is bogus as standard mechanical hard drives cannot read and supply data that fast, or write data that fast.
I am quoting speeds shown by windows 7 as to how accurate these speeds are pass I do not know

The back up HDD is a 2.5 laptop drive

What do you feel is advertised and how fast would you expect it to go? The spec allows for up to 5.0Gbps and it's often said that is 10x faster than 480Mbps which is USB 2.0 spec. This would be about 60MB/sec if there was no overhead and 100% efficiency. So, if you expect USB 3 speeds in the 600MB/sec, then you will be terribly disappointed..
Advertised here is up to 10x faster and yes I would like to see speeds that are faster than 60MB/sec but like I said still an improvement over USB2

I mean, if your source hard drive in your computer can only do 60MB/sec...then you would be limited to 60MB/sec or slower to your USB device. Unless you are using SSD's in your USB 3 enclosure and as source drives, you are likely going to be physically unable to surpass 100MB/sec.
you are more than welcome to look at my specs. I don't have a spare ssd for the docking station yet but then as I explained it is for old drives I no longer use in my PC

Attached Thumbnails
It's like watching someone move a pile of sand 1 grain at a time.-capture.png   It's like watching someone move a pile of sand 1 grain at a time.-capture1.png  
Attached Images
It's like watching someone move a pile of sand 1 grain at a time.-intel-raid-hdd-hitachi-hts543216l9a300.png It's like watching someone move a pile of sand 1 grain at a time.-intel-raid-ssd-hitachi-hts543216l9a300.png It's like watching someone move a pile of sand 1 grain at a time.-hitachi-hts543216l9a300-intel-raid-hdd.png It's like watching someone move a pile of sand 1 grain at a time.-hitachi-hts543216l9a300-intel-raid-ssd.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec