Thread: Backup Failure
View Single Post
21 Apr 2011  
Mike Connor

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
I can understand how multiple platters would effect the interpretation of physical location, but wouldn't the displayed location, like in my screenshot, have a bearing on read location. If that is true, it would be difficult to understand how a block displayed at the utmost rear of the drive could be involved in a partition at the beginning of the drive, with many GBs between them.
That might be true, but that is also why it depends on what the block contains. It also depends on how the soft/hardware reads the drive. If a bad block contains something pertaining to the location of something else, then it will cause an error when what it refers to is accessed. It could refer to anything. If it is near the perceived "end" of a disk, then such blocks often contain drive information. If you format the disk, then such a block will be marked and ignored. If it contains information then that information will normally be reconstructed. It is extremely difficult, in fact usually impossible, to determine actual physical locations of sectors on a drive, using software. What you see is an interpretation, and it does not necessarily have any bearing at all on reality.

I have often had failures due to bad blocks when trying to restore images or moving or copying some large files. Even if the blocks were apparently outside the range I was attempting to use.

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec