View Single Post
04 May 2011  
dex3985

win 7 ult x64

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
No you cannot create a recovery partition. On my laptop, its F11 to enter recovery partition. But that's only available when you get a new PC as the manufacturer installs a recovery partition. Once you change the HDD or reinstall OS, its gone forever. The option of F11 in BIOS will still remain.
Reinstalling the OS does not remove the recovery partition unless you tell it to. It is very possible to reinstall the os, leaving the recovery partition in tact and functional.

You most certainly can. Look at it this way, if the manufacturer can create it, why can't you? It's just a matter of the right bootloader, to function how you want it to, and a little know how in command line operations. It can be done, no one has taken the time to do it, and put the progress out there is the problem....until me. I searched forever for this very thing, and was very unsuccessful finding the solution, so I created it.

Here's a link to the forum with the bootloader that i used, and in there is a post by me (dex3985), with DETAILED instructions on the steps I took to create my own fully automatic restore partition, that stays completely hidden until you press a pre defined key combination at boot up.

[Dell with MediaDirect] XOSL Bootloader, Hardware dual boot made easy

There is email info in that thread, should you have any questions, the guide is pretty self explanitory though, if you have some know how with computers. If you don't, I probably wouldn't attempt it.

Cheers
My System SpecsSystem Spec