Thread: Stop c000021a
View Single Post
20 Jun 2009  
Microsoft MVP

This is a nasty error that can be caused by many different things.
I don't think that I've encountered one in Windows 7 yet either.
Here's a link to a brief description of the error: Troubleshooting Windows STOP Messages

As the description states, it's one of the few cases where the failure of a user-mode process can cause a BSOD. Determining which process is the difficult part tho'.

Most fixes that I've seen in Vista revolved around:
- malware
- Windows Updates
- registry corruption

Windows7 compatibility is a tricky issue, and the lower the functioning of the drivers is, the less likely it is that they will be compatible. In the past the Toshiba BIOS has given me fits, not wanting to work with bootable media and tests that work on the majority of other systems (so it could be a BIOS incompatibility).

If you're able to get into Safe Mode, please go to C:\Windows\Minidump and zip up the files located there and upload them with your next post. If there aren't any there (or you have problems with them), let us know.

Also in Safe Mode, try the Startup Repair tool (the Repair your computer option). Then, in Safe Mode, try the Vista big 4 troubleshooting tools (not all will work in Safe Mode). Go to start and type one of the following and press Enter:

perfmon /report
reliability monitor
event viewer

Look for errors in each of the reports. In Event Viewer, look under the Windows Logs for the System log files and look for errors around or shortly before the BSOD occurred.
My System SpecsSystem Spec