View Single Post
01 Jun 2011  
seavixen32

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit

I had this document in my Vista folder from some time ago, it may be of help to you.

Windows Robocopy File Backup

Use Robocopy, which is built into Vista.

Go to command prompt and type robocopy /?
This will show you the settings.

I use two main switches: /mir and /e

/MIR mirrors the destination to be the same as the source. So in your source location, if you move, delete, add anything, the destination will be mirrored. If you delete something in the source, it gets deleted in the destination. If you move a file from one folder to another in the source, it also gets moved in the destination. If you update a file and it is newer then the destination file will be overwritten with the newer one.

/E will copy any file that is newer or doesn't exist but doesn't remove files that have been moved or deleted in the source. So if you delete a file from the source, it will remain in the destination. If you move a file from one folder to another in the source, then the destination will contain two copies of the file, one in the old location and one in the new.

The /E switch is pretty much the same an incremental backup. Depending on what you are doing you might want to use the /MIR option. On my machine, I use /E for documents and pictures in case I accidentally delete something, since documents and pictures can be important. However, for my music directory, since WMP11 is constantly moving and renaming files as I organize my music, I don't want a bunch of extra files everywhere, so I use the /MIR switch just to mirror the backup to the source.

In my case, I have a batch file that runs every night and it looks like this:

robocopy "e:\Documents" "f:\Backup\Documents" /e
robocopy "e:\Pictures" "f:\Backup\Pictures" /e
robocopy "e:\Contacts" "f:\Backup\Contacts" /e

robocopy "e:\Favorites" "f:\Backup\Favorites" /mir
robocopy "e:\Mail" "f:\Backup\Mail" /mir
robocopy "e:\Music" "f:\Backup\Music" /mir
robocopy "e:\Videos" "d:\Backup\Videos" /mir

My System SpecsSystem Spec