View Single Post
12 Jul 2011  

Windows 7 Pro x64 (1), Win7 Pro X64 (2)

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mattbastin View Post
Thank you all for your help. I have gone through your suggestions and the MS tutorial I found on another thread with similar problem all to no avail. I give up. I think I'll buy a new printer.
Don't give up so easily. The problem is not the printer. It's some kind of a network or authority issue that can easily be resolved, if only we know what error message you were getting.

Please provide a bit more detail than "However, I cannot access this printer". What error message are you getting... perhaps a screenshot posted here to keep it visual would be worth 1000 words.

How about a series of screenshots of what your "Add Printer" dialog from the Win7 laptop produces, at each step of the process you're following, which ultimately ends with "I cannot access this printer", whatever that really means in terms of an error message from Win7.

And please, what is the printer make/model?

Sharing network USB printers from a "host" to network "clients" (where a "connect" or similar is done to select the "shared" printer on the host machine) is one of the most basic things that everybody does, especially with home networks, and this really does work perfectly on both WinXP and Win7. I share two USB printers locally attached to two network machines, and they're available to either desktop machine no matter whether either machine is booted to WinXP or Win7! You and I both know you should be able to do the same thing.

I'm fully sympathetic to your current problem and current failure to make that happen, but we need to see more detail (either in specific words or screenshots), to better suggest possible steps to resolve the underlying cause.
My System SpecsSystem Spec