View Single Post
27 Sep 2011  

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

I don't know how confident you are with the registry, but there is a suggested solution here:
Pre-Loaded Microsoft Office Starter 2010 Will Not Start up - Microsoft Answers

HOWEVER, I must stress that you backup your registry before you attempt any changes:
Registry - Backup and Restore
Read through carefully - perhaps print it out before you begin.

Try editing this registry key to see if this helps:
1. Launch the registry editor as Administrator.
a. Click on the Windows Start menu, Type "Regedit" without the quotation marks. Right click on Regedit and choose "Run as administrator" and click Yes on the UAC dialog.
2. Back up (Export) and then rename the Registry Key if applicable.
a. Navigate to [HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]
b. Look at the AppData key in the right pane of the registry window. If the Data column contains only "%APPDATA%, then proceed. If not, then do not go any further. Close the registry editor.
c. Click on the AppData key in the right pane of the registry window, which should highlight the key.
d. Then click on File, Export and choose a location and name of the saved original registry key and click the Save button. Don't forget where you saved it!
e. Double-click on the "AppData" key in the right pane of the registry window.
f. In the "Value Data" field, change "%APPDATA%" to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming" and click on OK
3- Reboot the machine
4- Attempt to re-initialize Office Starter again
ALSO: possibly something else to try-

You might want to uninstall Office Starter and re-install.
Uninstall it from the control panel.
When it is done, go back to the Windows Start menu and programs and click on Microsoft Office 2010, then select Use in the first dialog and then Open on the second one.
That will re-install Office Starter.
Lots of reading and things to consider, but don't start anything unless you feel comfortable about it.

All the very best - take care.

Please let us know how you get on.
My System SpecsSystem Spec