Windows 7 Help Forums - View Single Post - Help on Imaging Scenario
View Single Post
02 Oct 2011  
oreo27

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Ok here is the "shortcut" I saved but you may very well need to do a clean install so make sure you have everything backed up to do one! The fact that your page file and some installed programs on a separate disk complicates things.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would keep installed programs and page file on the OS partition never mind HDD but that's history.

As long as you understand that these changes aways come with risk. Assuming one partition per HDD -
1) shrink d: partition by say 100GB using Partition Wizard.
2) Image c: and d: with Macrium.
3) remove HDD c: and put HDD d: in its place
4) repartition old d: to contain new partitions c:, d:. c: to 85GB, d: to remainder. Use Partition Wizard bootable CD. Make partitions primary NTFS C:, D:. Make C: active.
5) reimage with old c:, d: images with Macrium to C: and D: respectively. When reimaging C: and D: do NOT replace MBR. You want to retain the partition table of the new d: HDD. Make sure C: is active.
6) Run startup repair up to 3 times from the system repair CD. This is to repair the MBR boot code and other boot files.
7) Fix up unallocated space on the new d: disk (C:, and D: partitions) using Partition Wizard.

See free programs section for Partition Wizard.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If another member has a simpler approach then please chip in.
Awesome man. I'll try this out when I have two or three hours to myself tomorrow. At least, I can re-image my disks in case I muck up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec