View Single Post
23 Nov 2011   #
DocMagoo

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Hello All,

As a possible solution to having both an Elevated Prompt and the Take Ownership menu option in the context menu, what I have found that you can do is first install the Take Ownership registry file. For the Elevated Command Prompt, the process is a little bit more involved.

The first step is to copy the cmd.exe file from C:\Windows\System32 directory to C:\Windows. The next and key step is to change the properties of the cmd.exe file that you just copied in to the C:\Windows directory. What you want to do is to change the Compatibility settings for the cmd.exe file and check the box for "Run this program as an administrator". The next few steps are just to manually edit the registry settings to add the Elevated Command Prompt context menu choice.

In HKCR>Directory>shell, create the key ElevatedPrompt. For the Default REG_SZ setting, change the value to "Open Elevated Command Prompt Here". Next, create a new string value called Icon and assign is the value "C:\Windows\cmd.exe". Now, create a sub key from ElevatedPrompt called "command". Inside this sub key, assign the default value of cmd.exe /s /k pushd "%V".

Repeat the above steps in HKCR>Drive>shell.

Now, you should have both Take Ownership and Elevated Command Prompt active in the context menu.

I hope this helps.

Doc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec