Thread: DVD Player
View Single Post
26 Nov 2011  
MilesAhead

Windows 7 32 bit

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Is there such a thing as a stand-alone DVD player that will play DVD recorded with nothing more than .mp4, .mkv, or .flv, not in .vob format?
The last time I checked out divx.com everything was going .mkv format.

I have Philips 5990 upconverting but it won't play anything larger than PAL standard res. 720x576.

This search engine can list the players for the formats you check:
DVD Player and Blu-ray Player Compatibility List - VideoHelp.com

I think the most versatile these days is a set top box. I have WD 1st gen. player. It's not the Live with networking. Just plays off USB 2.0 port. But it can handle a lot of formats. It upconverts SD res. stuff and can play HD stuff in .wmv .mp4 .m4v .avi .divx .ts and .m2ts. It can play DVD .iso but it doesn't give menus. Ok for playing "main movie" dvds but not episodic. But you can rip the DVD to mkv titles pretty quickly with MakeMKV.

1st gen has no DTS support but the newer units are supposed to have automatic DTS down sampling to stereo. It has its quirks but at least the one I have gives very good picture quality on my set. I have HD CRT type.. old Sony Wega. The screen is only 27" but the picture quality is outstanding.

I've never owned BluRay disc player so I'm not sure what they handle. I refer you to the search engine in the link.
My System SpecsSystem Spec