View Single Post
09 Jan 2012  
IfItsX

Windows 7 x64/sp1

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
1. Windows imaging is a bad choice. It is too restricted and too touchy. The day you really need it you never know what will happen. Free Macrium or Free Paragon are much better choices.

2. Yes you should be able to attach the VHD. I am sure O'Reilly has explained how - if not ask here. He is an excellent author.

Exactly my concern. A few years back when Maxtor was still a helpful alternative - at least I had good luck with them, they bought the best hdd technology that existed from Quantum, my preferred drives - they offered "MaxBlast" which was a limited feature subversion of Acronis True Image. I made some images with it and never never worked. Then a year or so later I flirted with the idea of diving in and making the big cross-hardware version of their product. However, I spent a great deal of time lurking in their forums and I was quite put off with how many serious complaints people were having. Not the kind of stuff that helps me to sleep at night. So, those experiences have been lurking in the back of my mind and I have not been approaching this transition with the idea of actually "depending" on it to work. Wonderful, isn't it.

Fortunately, I make many detailed data backups using two different software approaches from AJC Software, using their Backup and their Sync. Sync and I are having some issues in the transition to Win7, but I think I may be able to make the cultural adaptation Andrew has used with his Sync 3.5. We'll see. Thanks for verifying the VHD approach and I appreciate your support of David Karp's authority. It's an ironic shame that his web site has been so virtually unusable for so long, i.e., with search totally in bugsville.

Thanks for the recommendations for Free Macrium or Free Paragon. I'll give them a look.
My System SpecsSystem Spec