View Single Post
11 Feb 2012  
bobkn

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by StupidUser View Post
Thanks. I agree with you (and Bob). Got any advice on how-tos/dos/don'ts when reinstalling?
I hardly know where to begin.

Windows Easy Transfer i supposed to simply transferring files and settings (not programs), but I've never had much success with it. I usually transfer everything by hand.

The standard Win7 installer is reasonably driver complete, but I suggest downloading the network drivers (Ethernet, WiFi, etc.) from Lenovo and having them on hand, just in case. (That's not terribly important if you have the use of another PC with Internet access, and a USB flash drive to transfer the drivers.) I'd also get the graphics drivers, to minimize the time spent under the generic VGA drivers.

Speaking of USB flash drives, installing from one of those is a good deal quicker than from a DVD. This is the method I used to create the flash drive (although I started with a Win7 .iso from the Microsoft Store, rather than a physical DVD):

Installing Win7 using a USB Stick | TechNet Edge

(I liked the web page better when it was only a text decription. Thre's a brief summary of the procedure at the bottom of the page.)

If you're looking fro a primer, there is a collection here:

Tutorial quick reference list for Installing Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec