View Single Post
26 Mar 2012  
marsmimar

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Xenshoa View Post
Im wondering whats a good way to get data from a hard drive? My current computer doesnt work and i have a 2nd HDD that ive had for a year and want to get the data from, ive booted from it and it just lagged so bad i think because of all the drivers needing to be installed into the pc for it. Should i just wait for my new computer and attach it as a secondary drive? or is there some way i can do like a data transfer without it being in a computer?
Sorry for my confusion but you say you have a 2nd HDD that you want to get data from. Then you say you've booted from it but it lags really bad. Is this HDD installed in the computer that doesn't work? Or is it in some other computer? You could probably buy a USB enclosure (2.5" if it's a laptop hard drive or 3.5" for a desktop hard drive), install the HDD, then connect it to a working computer just like any other external USB drive. The working computer should show its own hard drive as C: and the newly enclosed HDD as perhaps drive E: (or some other letter.) Copy the files from the new E: drive to wherever. I've seen 2.5" enclosures for as low as $10 and 3.5" for $15.
My System SpecsSystem Spec