View Single Post
28 Mar 2012  

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by herculeorama View Post

I have a set of my pictures - some in landscape and some in portrait orientation - and i have set this folder for shuffled selection of pictures as background pictures for my Windows 7. What I observe is that the landscape pictures show correctly. But when it comes to the pictures I shot in portrait orientation are showing sideways! Is there anyway I can make windows recognize the correct orientation and set the wallpaper accordingly? The wallpapers are set to change every 20 minutes.

I think that this is your answer. In normal mode, i.e. holding the camera in the standard landscape orientation, the X-axis is the horizontal and the Y-axis is vertical. The meta data records it as such. However, when you turn the camera 90 degrees to take a portrait photo, the meta data records the X and Y information as they would be if the camera was still held in the landscape orientation - in other words, the X-axis and Y-axis are effectively swapped. Some cameras are capable of intelligently assigning X and Y according to the orientation, either manually or automatically. Most cameras don't have this capability, so orientation correction needs to be done afterwards by means of an editing program.
My System SpecsSystem Spec