View Single Post
16 Apr 2012  
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Colonel Travis View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Of course what else do you expext SEAGATE to say--"We are in a dying Industry People -- Please do not invest any more money" --Of course not.

As more and more people try SSD's and like them demand will grow and the technology will develop (even Seagate will join the party at some time) to make them large capacity and affordable. It might take a while but IT WILL COME un some form or other.
Agree, but the key phrase is "take a while." There's simply no way flash drives will come close to matching the capacity of mechanical drives for decades - it's the same brick wall Moore's Law is running into. Beyond a certain point, we just don't how to shrink and cram more stuff in tighter spaces. I'm sure the marketplace will figure this out, or come up with a totally new technology, but right now that is really far off.
Hi there

even today we *Could* triple the capacity of all drives be they SSD's or spinners without a single change of technology -- with fast hardware why not build compression (lossless) into the storage -- the user will just see the data in "plain text" while the hardware will compress / decompress the data.

The compression mechanism can be built into the firmware.
Things like WORD / EXCEL etc will compress up to 90% and most music / multimedia can be LOSSLESSLY compressed decently too.

We need faster hardware for this to work but the firmware of the spinners / SSD's could have fast RAM speed type caches for doing the compression / decompression.

Mechanisms and systems in the future will certainly appear (and I don't believe it will be too long).

SSD's in their present form might take a geological age (if ever) to catch up capacity wise with spinners -- but there is a lot of newer technology out there in Labs just awaiting the need to move it beyond Research stage into real development.

Mabe bubble storage with new technology might come back into consideration - certinly there's a lot of development going on into the next generation of Mass storage.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec