View Single Post
20 Apr 2012  
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
SSD-P = C: drive SSD-W = E: drive =>Your bootmgr and bootmenu are on SSD-P. This is working fine (active,boot in screenshot)
HDD-P = F: drive HDD-W = J: drive .

Disk 1 (HDD) has 1 large extended partition with many logical partitions in it). If you disconnect SSD system isn’t bootable. I assume it was bootable before (F is active) .
I assume you want to clone HDD-W to SSD-W?
Steps to do:
Download a free copy of partition wizard (bootable ISO). right click on it burn it to CD. Boot from CD then:
Mark paritition on HDD which is active now as inactive. Not really needed.
Delete partition SSD-W.
Copy partition HDD-W to SSD-W (make it a primary partition!)
Try to boot normally. Disconnect HDD first so you’re sure it’s not using it!
If not loading OS on SSD-W try Startup Repair

Free download Magic Partition Manager Software, partition magic alternative, free partition magic, partition magic Windows 7 and server partition software - Partition Wizard Online (last download "bootable CD")

How to Set Active/Inactive partition with partition magic? Partition Wizard Help
How to Delete Partition with partition manager? Partition Wizard Help
Copy Partition help of magic partition manager - Partition Wizard.

Drive letters in partition wizard are different as in windows, so select the right partition!

Post results
Assume it works, then you have to do this (only the alignment part):

Speed Up Your SSD By Correctly Aligning Your Partitions
How to Migrate to a Solid-State Drive Without Reinstalling Windows

GParted - Browse /gparted-live-stable at SourceForge.net
perform a "startup repair" after SSD alignment (if not booting).

Proper SSD Maintenance (from with win7 work and personal)

We've covered proper SSD maintenance before, so I won't go too deeply into it here. In order to have Windows optimize itself for your new SSD, we'll need to re-run the Windows Experience Index. Hit the Start menu and type in "Windows Experience", and hit the "Check the Windows Experience Index" option. Click "Re-Run the Assessment" and it should turn off Defragmentation and turn on TRIM.
To double check that it all went as expected, head to your Start menu and type "defrag" in the search box. Click on "Disk Defragmenter". Click on "Configure Schedule" and hit "Select Disks". If all went well, Windows will realize it's on an SSD and your SSD won't even be an option in this menu. Now Windows will avoid defragmenting your SSD, which can be bad for it.
Lastly, we'll want to make sure TRIM is turned on, which keeps your drive from slowing down over time. Open up a elevated Command Prompt and type in:
Code:
fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify
It will either give you a 0 (it should be 0) or a 1 as a result. If you get a zero, that means TRIM is enabled. If you get a 1, make sure you have a TRIM-compatible SSD—you may have to Google your SSD's model number to find out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec