View Single Post
20 Apr 2012  
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit

See comments in bold

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xxsicknessxx View Post

If I back up my computer (how do I do this) and then do a fresh factory install can I use the back up cds to put everything back on my computer?
including programs (just wondering)

If you do a clean install, the backup will NOT restore your programs. Only your data. You will have to reinstall programs.

Back up your data to DVDs, to another drive, or to a USB drive. If you use another drive or a USB drive, you can just drag stuff with the mouse.

Also will it put back my desktop and all that?

A clean install will give you a standard Windows desktop, which may be different than what you have now or what you had when your Toshiba arrived.

I factory restore with saving all my info and it goes to a back up folder will it include programs or just files?

If you do a clean install, you should just backup your data. You will have to reinstall programs.

You could backup and restore Windows and your programs using an image, but that wouldn't do you any good. The restored installation would have all of the problems you now have.

Also will it all be usable or am I better off copying files to a flash drive or dvd cds?

A flash drive is better than DVDs. Faster and less likelihood of problems.

But understand this: if you have hardware problems, such as a bad hard drive, the clean installation will probably have the same problems. If your hardware is known to be OK, a clean installation should solve your problems.
My System SpecsSystem Spec