View Single Post
26 Apr 2012  
Vir Gnarus

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64-bit

You say this is a networked printer, but how is it networked? Is it connected directly to a PC and then shared through that PC? Is it directly connected to a router? Is it wifi? Please explain further on this.

I do see in the syslog that no BSOD does occur but rather immediate restarts. The only way I could see this happening is from hardware failure of some sort. To be sure, you can go to Start Menu then type "Advanced System Settings" and select the available option. Then go to Settings button under Startup and Recovery and uncheck the box that says "Automatically restart" and make sure the box for writing an event to the syslog is checked. Then restart the PC and then try to provoke your system to crash again in the same manner. If a BSOD still does not appear, then we are most certainly dealing with a hardware issue here.

My only speculation right now as to why a printer would cause this is if there's a direct connection from the PC to the printer and either the port on the PC or the printer is causing a short, which typically will reset a PC. If the printer is directly connected to the PC, like through a USB port, change the port that's being used, or change the PC that it's directly connected too and see if the same symptoms occur.
My System SpecsSystem Spec