Yeah, it looks like the board to me. Money definitely is an issue, unfortunately; I do intend to replace the mobo, but I can't really afford to at the moment. I had actually bought one on eBay but the seller then informed me that he'd mucked up the listing and it was a cheap ASrock (not the Asus advertised), so I've cancelled that.
For the time being, I've returned the 2x2GB RAM and ordered a 2x4GB set to see if that works (with the refund from the 2x2GB I'm only spending another £13). If it doesn't, I'll return that as well and just wait 'til I can afford a mobo upgrade...