View Single Post
23 May 2012  
marsmimar

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Hello Tiffaasaur and welcome to Seven Forums.

This may not be the answer you want to hear, but since you just recently reformatted and reinstalled Windows 7, I'd suggest that you reformat/reinstall again rather than try to fix a problem that should have been fixed by the System Update Readiness Tool. The Windows 7 installation may have had a glitch which left some system files damaged or corrupt, or perhaps one or more of the updates had a conflict, didn't install correctly, and had a domino effect on the remaining updates.

If you choose to start over again, don't let Windows 7 automatically install the updates. Turn off the automatic update option.

Windows Update Settings - Change

I'd install SP1 first as that will take care of the first 50 - 100 updates. (If SP1 is already on the Windows 7 install media disregard this.)

Learn how to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)

After SP1 installs (could take about 45 minutes) I'd start installing the remaining updates just a few at a time (maybe 5 or 10 at a time.) Keep track of their KB numbers so if there's a problem after installation you'll know exactly which 5 or 10 to uninstall. Then reinstall one at a time. They'll all install successfully or you'll know exactly which update is the problem. You can leave the problematic update(s) to the end and try again.

Updates are classified as Critical/Important, Recommended, and Optional. I'd install them in that order. It also wouldn't hurt to reboot after each group of 5 or 10. Yes, it's a much slower process but I believe it offers a better chance of having everything install correctly. If you still have issues after all of this, then there may be something seriously wrong with your install media.

Updates: frequently asked questions
My System SpecsSystem Spec