View Single Post
07 Jun 2012  
marsmimar

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
I think we have seen this problem before. I don't think it refers to the space on your external HDD but to the space on one of the partitions on your internal drive.

Could you post a screen shot of your disk management screen. Type disk management into the start menu search box and select the entry Create and format disk partitions. Maximize the display and follow this tutorial to post the screen shot. Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums
Keith I think you're on to something. As I always tell people, I'm not an expert at anything and my one remaining brain cell doesn't always work. But I seem to recall that the System Reserved partition needs a certain amount of free space in order for a VSS to be created. Likewise, if System Protection is turned off or doesn't have enough space allocated, the VSS can't be created. Does this sound familiar to you?

EDIT: Found this Technet forum thread. NehaaMSFT says the System Reserved partition needs 40MB free space. And jimg43 says he had to turn on System Protection and allocate a couple of GB free space. Yes, it's an older thread but I think the parameters still apply.

Windows 7 RC Backup fails - Errorcode 0x81000019
My System SpecsSystem Spec