View Single Post
24 Jun 2012  
marsmimar

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Hello Mike and welcome to Seven Forums.

Once a virus infects a machine you can never be 100% certain that a removal tool has gotten rid of all traces. So depending on what removal steps you've already taken, I'd suggest using a free tool from Microsoft called Windows Defender Offline. It will start to scan your machine before Windows boots, which is something that most scanners don't do. They have to wait for Windows to boot before they start to work. Create your media from a machine that's not infected.

Windows Defender Offline

Once you've used WDO I'd then suggest using at least a couple more free on-demand scanners since no anti-malware program is 100% effective 100% of the time. (If there was such a thing we'd all be using it.) Some of the recommended free products are Malwarebytes | ESET | Superantispyware | Hitman Pro.

If your additional scans come back clean I'd next recommend you run a System file Checker scan from an elevated command prompt (option two) to rule out any damaged or corrupt system files. If any problems are noted, run the scan 3 times rebooting in between each scan.

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Post back if any of this helped or not. There are other things that can be tried that won't cause you to lose personal data, custom settings, etc. before having to resort to a factory reinstall or a clean install.
My System SpecsSystem Spec