View Single Post
28 Jun 2012  
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit

I never heard of that power supply brand. It appears to be 240 watts and is likely to be of average quality at best.

I don't play games on my PC, so I cannot comment on what video card you need for your chosen games.

But----your PC, excluding the video card, probably uses 100 to 150 watts when working hard.

Mid-level and above graphics cards typically use at least 100 watts by themselves--so any such card would likely put too much stress on your power supply.

In your shoes, I would plan on getting another power supply. Personally, I'd get another power supply even if I was NOT upgrading the video card. A 240 watt high quality power supply may be enough for what you have now, but there is no reason to believe you have a high quality power supply.

Look for these brands: Seasonic, XFX, Corsair, or Antec.

A high quality 500 to 600 watt power supply is enough to power your PC and any single graphics card.

If you decide to go with only a mid-level graphics card, you could probably reduce the power supply to 400 or 450 watts if you stick with a high quality brand and model.

Since I don't play games on my PC, I'll leave it to others to suggest particular video cards.

Look to pay maybe 60 or 70 dollars on up to maybe 120 for the power supply, in the USA.
My System SpecsSystem Spec