View Single Post
13 Sep 2012  
cytherian

Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Sandisk is an excellent choice, as they've been in solid state memory for decades. Samsung has a great reputation, as does Crucial and Intel. OCZ is a newer manufacturer and has tried to leapfrog the competition with clever testing scenarios, so I'm a little leery of them. Transcend is good, but the general opinions I've seen still put them behind Sandisk.

I would get 128Gb or 120Gb instead of 60Gb. The cost difference isn't huge and it's just a nice good margin of space to have. I've read that SSD works a little more efficiently when disk space is more than 50% free too.

Also, if you're not in any rush, I'd wait for the late autumn deals. There are bound to be a good number of them coming up soon. SSD technology is still on a nice progressive improvement curve. We may see more significant performance improvements on the consumer side next year. So, I wouldn't bother spending all the extra money getting more than 256Gb. Going higher than that makes a noticeable jump in cost per gigabyte.
My System SpecsSystem Spec