View Single Post
19 Oct 2012   #
jayjonbeach

Win XP 32

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
If you were sold a PC with bootleg Win7 then you'll need to Clean Reinstall with Genuine Windows after wiping the HD with Diskpart Clean Command first.

Since you must do this you might as well correctly install XP first as is optimal in a Dual Boot with Win7, even if you install it to the last created partition so it can be more easily removed later. You can create your partitions after wiping HD using the XP CD then full format the XP partition before install.

Then Win7 installer will configure the Dual Boot during Clean Reinstall - OEM Windows 7 .

I would buy or borrow an external HD to store my data, or upload up to 7gb with each Windows Live ID to Skydrive, which can also Sync your user folders to storage and other devices. Sync Any Folder to Your SkyDrive Account | PCWorld
Okay thanks, as I say was hoping not to go this route but you are making it sound like I must (have never seen anyone say that could be cause before, usually sata drivers, boot.ini etc)

Looking at the link you posted, it begs the question of could I not just "clean" or "clean all" (which should I do btw?) the 100 meg partition and the C:system partition with all the windows stuff on it? Then install XP from there avoiding the need to delete ALL the data on the drive (all that would be left is a bunch of movies and music on one of the partitions, the other 3 would be empty)?

Edit, ok I think that utility will wipe the whole thing, and no option for parts only. Are there not utilities I can use to wipe only the ones I need to? (Windows stuff)
My System SpecsSystem Spec