View Single Post
20 Oct 2012   #
jayjonbeach

Win XP 32

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Do you have the packaging with COA sticker for Win7, because it they had installed a bootleg copy it could well be interfering.
Been thinking about this some more, and it seems impossible for 7 to interfere with a XP install since none of its files are called or able to execute at any time during the process (and is likely why I have never on the entire internet see anyone mention it before).

This thing has become somewhat personal; between me, the laptop and Windows since in 25 years I can't remember ever having a problem I was not able to eventually solve (very experienced user with a tad of programming knowledge, but no expert to be certain).

Again it would seem just one small thing is out of sync here, and the Microsoft bulletin points to the boot.ini or the like, but it would seem I have exhausted those possibilities.

There must be a solution to this, other than giving up and formatting. Again the XP setup files loaded to the partition I chose, and boot.ini, ntdetect and the other (cant remember name atm) loaded to first 100meg partition. Then it goes to its first reboot in the process, and either comes up with hal.dll error OR hardware configuration problem (depending on which partition it tries to go to apparently) both mentioned in same Microsoft bullentin (and hal.dll is in the files loaded). I have tried changing the default partition and path in boot.ini in order for it to make the connection to the Windows files, yet it does not seem to. What exactly is supposed to happen after the first reboot in the XP installation anyway?

I am likely going to "give up" and take one of several other paths, but this is really bugging me. It may be interesting to note (or not), that OPH Crack shows 4 partitions, numbered sda1, 2, 3 and 5. For some reason 4 is skipped here. All boot files are on 1, 7 on 2, and XP on 5. After XP installs the boot.ini has default and path set to 4, which I think is correct (tried 1 - 5 now).
My System SpecsSystem Spec