View Single Post
03 Nov 2012  
tlarseth

Windows 8 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_rtm.120725-1247)

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by novacounter View Post
so i checked up the dxdiag and it shows that i have directx 11 on my computer
the latest directx my gpu support is 10.1
now i want to know how can i delete it and replace with another 9 or 10 or 10.1 probably?
Hello novacounter,

Yes, DirectX11 (DX11) is intergrated in WIndows 7 and can't be removed. However DirectX (11) is backwards compatible, meaning that it can run and play games in 9 & 10 modes.

Also be aware that in order to play in DX11 mode, 3 criteria must be met: The OS must be DX11 (software), the game must be DX11 (software), and the video card must be DX11 (hardware). If any of these are not, the game will run in the lowest mode of those 3 items...

For example: OS= DX11, Game= DX11, Video card= DX9, the game will play in DX9 mode... not DX11. If we went game DX9, video card DX11, the game would still run DX9 because there is a DX9 item in play.

See steps 5 & 6 here for an explaination: Tips on Troubleshooting Game Issues
Yes, with Windows 7, DirectX 11 is the only thing you can have for now until it gets updated, but good news, the way DirectX works, 11 is compatible with all previous versions. I have a DirectX 11 Video Card, but it will play older DirectX 7 games that I have somewhere on my computer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec