Here is an easy and safe way to do it:
You can use the Windows Easy Transfer to transfer your profiles and settings to a new account:
- Go to Start –> type Easy Transfer –> Click Windows Easy Transfer in the search results.
- You will get a welcome message to Windows Easy Transfer. Click Next.
- Choose a different partition or internal hard drive, external hard disk or USB flash drive. Can't be the same drive you are transferring from (the "old computer").
- Select This is my old computer.
- Check the box before your current user account, and click Next.
- You can input a password if you want.
- Click Save to save the transfer file. The transfer file will be a single file with the extension .MIG. Please remember the location.
- Create a new account via Control Panel - User Accounts.
- Log off the current account and log on the new account.
- Open Windows Easy transfer again and click This is my New Computer.
- Choose "Yes, open the file" to navigate to the .MIG file.
- Check the box before your old account, then click the Advanced Options above the Transfer button, then you choose which user account you want to transfer.
- Click Save and Transfer. Now, you can see what are the files that were transferred.
Test if everything works correctly in the new account now. If yes you can delete the old account via User Accounts.
If not, please delete the new account via User Accounts. Go back to step 8, and repeat the step 9 and 10, then check the box before your old account, and click on the Customize
button next to this old account, and uncheck the box before Windows Settings
, then click the Transfer
I seem to have lost the site this came from originally, sorry.