View Single Post
10 Nov 2012  
hArLtRoN

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
The fan running is a good thing. They usually run most of the time, except that they're inherently quiet so you don't notice... until something makes them noisy. Often it's a layer of dust on the blades that makes it wobble, enough to create noise. So a good cleaning is always a good idea. If it's a really old laptop and the noise comes back to stay, it's worthwhile to replace it. They're very cheap... the only tedious thing is swapping (especially on those laptops that are complicated to disassemble).
There was a significant amount of dust on the blades so I think that is what was causing the horrible hum noise.

I really hope I don't have to replace the fan EVER for my friend. This laptop is especially tedious to disassemble. I had to take the keyboard, screen, WiFi card, hard drive, front panel w/ touchpad, and DVD drive out just so I could get to were the fan was. I hope to not have to do that again for a while. The only plus side to doing it, other than getting the hum to stop, is that I can show my friend pictures of his laptop COMPLETELY disassembled, lol.
My System SpecsSystem Spec