Quote: Originally Posted by ishahmael
Solved. I found that windows 7 had already installed a mp780fax driver. It did not go on to install a printer driver. As described above in the first few posts, go to start menu, devices and printers, and click add printer.
1. Choose " add a local printer" then in "use an existing port" drop down menu, choose one of your "virtual USB ports".
2. Click windows update and wait (it has to download and update the list of drivers which took a long time, like 20 min or something, and it won't tell you if it done updating or only partial, so be patient).
I guarantee their is a canon MP780 printer driver - used it myself. DONE! (Don't bother with drivers from canon website, won't work)
My additional problem was that I could not get Windows to update the driver list. I found the answer to that problem in another forum, and am copying here, hoping to save others the ++ weeks of frustration I have had.
from: The Windows Update button in the Add Printer dialogue doesn't work - Microsoft Community
JohnSchaefer316 replied on May 14, 2012
In reply to Hula_Baloo post on May 11, 2012
I have found an answer on another thread that works. I'll copy it here for anyone that is following this thread. Apparently there is a bug in a recent update to Win7.
1. Open Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del)
2. Click Sevices Tab and then Services Button (Bottom Right)
3. Under Name find "Windows Update"
4. Right click "Windows Update" and select Stop. do not close
5. Open Window Exploper and browse to C:\Windows
6. Delete the Folder "SoftwareDistribution"
7. Go back to Servies, Right click "Windows Update" and select Start
There are two downsides to this solution:
1) Windows Update itself will start over from scratch the next time you launch it and you will loose all of your Windows Update history. You will also need to re-hide any hidden updates.
2) Its a pain in the you-know-what if you have more than one to do.
Here's hoping Microsoft gets this fixed.
Once I got the updated printer list (thanks to JohnSchaefer316!), then my Canon MP780 printer finally installed (thanks to ishahmael!). <phew>