Windows 7 Help Forums - View Single Post - The Dreaded Black Screen -- Dell Inspiron N7010
View Single Post
15 Nov 2012  
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JC95 View Post
I ran system repair 4 times. First time, no problems. Second time, an issue was corrected w/ re-boot. Third and fourth times, no problems.

I do have an option to restore windows to an earlier point in time instead of doing startup repair. Should I try that, or continue on with the directions you provided earlier?

Thanks again for all your help!
How did you do "startup repair"? You told us you can't boot at all (ended in black screen with cursor). Even installation DVD didn't work... didn't accept any key to boot from DVD.

Quote:
Second time, an issue was corrected w/ re-boot. Third and fourth times, no problems.
What did it correct the second time? Very strange it didn't find an issue the first time

If you did "startup repair" by booting from win7 installation DVD..... did it find your win7 installation in the step before, and did you select it? If so select it again and do "command prompt" instead of "startup repair". then:
Code:
bootrec/fixmbr
bootrec/fixboot
Both commands succesfully?
Now reboot normally. Still black screen with cursor?
My System SpecsSystem Spec