View Single Post
20 Dec 2012  

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

Hi Jumanji & Pscowboy!
First, thank you so much guys for helping me out, I truly appreciated it. If I understand right, my hard drive has too much severe damage that I should stop the scan/check disk! From now on, I'm not sure what to do Jumanji, you said to go to your other thread, is it the post in red below that shows this:
** (if so, my hard drive letter is: H so should I change the letter "m" for "H" which is my drive letter and the one to fix?)**
"To check if this is so, open an elevated Command Prompt and then type " fsutil dirty query m: " (with m being the drive letter for the external drive. This will tell you if the drive is marked dirty.

If it is, then do this: open the Command Prompt and type: " CHKNTFS /X m:
" . This will tell Windows NOT to check the drive on the next restart. Then manually restart the computer (keep the external connected).

You should get into Windows without an messages about the drive.

Once in Windows, now run chkdsk on the drive. At the Command Prompt type: " Chkdsk /f /r m: " . Chkdsk should go through all 5 stages of it's test.

When it's done then check the disk by running " fsutil dirty query m:
" again. If all went well the Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive.

Sometimes chkdsk can not reset the bit. In than case you can go nuclear and copy all the files off the drive and then format it (that will definitely reset the bit).
Or you can do something like this with a Hex Editor:
Manually Reset or Clear Dirty Bit in Windows without CHKDSK"

As I have no clue what HDD LLF means, I see that you have recommended someone in order to format his Hard drive! If the first step doesn't work, do you suggest downloading this software and follow the directions or I'm just confuse, hehe!

Download the HDD LLF Low Level Format Tool ver 4.25 ( Windows executable - needs no installation) HDDGURU: HDD LLF Low Level Format Tool

Ps: Sorry if I'm a bit slow to understand, english isn't my primary language!

Again, thank you for your help and patience.

My System SpecsSystem Spec