View Single Post
21 Dec 2012  
Yankie007

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

Hi Jumanji,
I started the step by step* tutorial that you have posted earlier and at first it was going fine! I changed the drive letter "m" to "H" which it was my Portable hard drive letter. After the step 2, the result showed the drive H was marked "dirty". When I reached step 3, that where it stops! I'll explain, in command prompt, it says: windows is verifying free space... 0 percent completed. (0 of 3815366 free clusters proccessed), it is not froze but it's not proccessing either!

Since I could not finished verifying or check free space related to dirty drive, should I do this next?? Download the HDD LLF Low Level Format Tool ver 4.25 ( Windows executable - needs no installation) HDDGURU: HDD LLF Low Level Format Tool

If it stopped when I did scan/check disk, should I try to Manually Reset or Clear Dirty Bit in Windows without CHKDSK" ?? I really don't know much about specific technical issue like that!

These are the steps* I was referring to above:

Step 1 - "To check if this is so, open an elevated Command Prompt and then type " fsutil dirty query m: " (with m being the drive letter for the external drive. This will tell you if the drive is marked dirty.

Step 2 - If it is, then do this: open the Command Prompt and type: " CHKNTFS /X m:
" . This will tell Windows NOT to check the drive on the next restart. Then manually restart the computer (keep the external connected).

You should get into Windows without an messages about the drive.

Step 3 - Once in Windows, now run chkdsk on the drive. At the Command Prompt type: " Chkdsk /f /r m: " . Chkdsk should go through all 5 stages of it's test.

Step 4 - When it's done then check the disk by running " fsutil dirty query m: " again. If all went well the Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive.

Step 5 - Sometimes chkdsk can not reset the bit. In than case you can go nuclear and copy all the files off the drive and then format it (that will definitely reset the bit).
Or you can do something like this with a Hex Editor:
Manually Reset or Clear Dirty Bit in Windows without CHKDSK"
My System SpecsSystem Spec