View Single Post
07 Feb 2013  
Brandon138

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Double View Post
From what I've been reading in other threads, it seems that a mix of Malwarebytes, the Windows 7 firewall, and MSE or free Avast are good combinations.

I personally think I'm going to settle on Avast. Avast also has a smartphone app, so they've got to be worth something.
Like I was saying, I had Avast on my old PC that ran Vista and loved it. Since I put Norton on it, it's been running at 745mbs higher in RAM and slowed to a crawl. Avast used a high level of resources when it was running full scans, but only then, when it was just running its normal full time protection, it was very reasonable. Norton seems to monopolize a huge mount of resources when its open as an active application and a large amount when it's just running normal time protection. Also I think Norton has been responsible for certain bugs to surface while running windows 7, I can't say I would recommend it to anyone at this point, as everyone I know seems to have issues with it, if not at first, always down the road. The only reason I'm running it is because it was so expensive, which I know is asinine, but I can't seem to help it.

I got rid of Avast on my other PC only because after one year, the registration expired and it was telling me I had to pay, but since I already had received Norton, I went with that, I probably should have returned the gift and went with the full Avast package instead, it still would have been about $45 cheaper. I definitely will not be renewing Norton.

Also when people say they are running Windows built in firewall, are you referring to just the standard firewall prompt you get before say installing a new program, or are you also referring to the Windows Defender program?

If anyone else has any input at all, I would appreciate it, even if it's just for the sake of general discussion.
My System SpecsSystem Spec