View Single Post
12 Feb 2013  
bbinnard

Win7-64

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
If the System Active flags were originally on System Reserved partition as one would assume, then in order to move the boot files to C it requires not only moving the Active flag, but also the boot files while making it bootable. This is done best by running Startup Repair - Run up to 3 Separate Times which writes the boot files to the partition while making the necessary adjustments, testing all parameters to apply multiple fixes and commands.
Yes, I understand this, but I originally created my 128GB SSD drive by cloning the older 64GB SSD boot drive on which I had done a clean WIn7-64 install. This install created the separate 100MB partition and, of course the requisite boot code.

After I cloned the 64GB SSD onto the 128GB SSD I changed my BIOS to boot off the 128GB SSD. I remember I did have to run the Win7 Startup Repair because for some odd reason the drive letters for all my drives got fouled up. I really don't understand how this happened or what caused it, but I assume it was because I had, at that time, 2 SSD's, each of which had their 100MB partition marked as Active.

That is when I learned that Active did not mean "online and running", but instead told the boot manager code which partition to boot from. So I used Disk Manager to take "Active" off both of the 100MB partitions on both SSDs and instead assign it only to the large partition on the 128GB SSD. After doing that my system booted A-OK off the 128GB SSD and I simply formatted the 64GB SSD.

That's what led me to the point of wanting the 100MB partition back. I see I was mistaken in my thinking that marking the 128GB SSD's large partition as Active is what put the required boot code into that partition. In fact, it was (as you said) the running of the Win7 Repair Disk that did that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec