View Single Post
02 Sep 2009   #
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JackStockton View Post
Didn't work for me.

I even tried copying and editing the .vmcx file. When I try to run it or check the settings, I get an error that I don't have premission or the file is missing, then it disappears.
It works. Please do not misunderstand me but it have to be a self caused issue, like misspelling or forgetting something.

Here's a short checklist:
  • Do not change the file locations:
    • The vmcx-files should always be located in C:\Your_Username\Virtual Machines
    • The vmc-, vhd- and possible vsv-files should always be located in C:\Your_Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual Machines
  • The virtual machine you copy must be powered down, not hibernated
  • All virtual machine files belonging to a certain virtual machine must have exactly the same name, only difference being the filename extension
  • Tutorial, point 7: vhd-name must be changed in both absolute and relative type
  • Tutorial, point 10: MAC-Address must be a valid 32-bit hexadecimal
  • Tutorial, point 13: vhd-name must be changed in both primary_disk1 type and vmc_path type
So, check spelling, check the files needed are in the right folders, and check you edited the right files; for example after copying and pasting the files edit the copies, not the originals.

Good luck.

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec