View Single Post
14 Sep 2009  

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RudeBoySes View Post
One of the first things i do with a new installation of Windows is turn off "UAC". I believe it is one of the most annoying and pointless feature Microsoft has come up with. I would have assumed "UAC" would have been removed in Windows 7 or atleast given the option to uninstall it. Although it is possible to turn it off in Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Safelty > User Accounts > Change "User Account Control" Settings > select "Turn Off" > finally a restart is mandatory. Thus i also recommend you do the same before we continue.
The UAC system isn't something that Microsoft came up has been used for a number of years in Unix/Linux systems as well as OSX.

The implementation of UAC however in Windows "seems" really annoying most because Windows users aren't used to it. Prior to Vista...the user account in Windows was an admin, had full admin controls over every aspect of the box. And not surprisingly, this led to a TON of security problems, with boxes being demolished with trojans, malware, viruses, spyware, keyloggers, bots, rootkits and the like.

Without the use of the UAC system, your user account has the ability to silently gain full admin rights and make configuration changes to your machine without your knowing. I don't see in any way shape or form how this is a desired action. Removing UAC from Windows 7 would have been a massive step in the wrong direction as far as security is concerned for Microsoft....and with their huge strides in improving in this area...that is just something that they wouldn't do.

Personally, I don't find after the initial OS install and app install that UAC is really bothersome at all. So, for 2 or 3 days you often see it...after that you almost forget about it.

And I realize the common response is, "Well, I'm a power user and I know exactly what I am doing, so what good does this do me....because I'm going to just hit ok anyway when I am installing something?". The key is to protect in those scenarios when you didn't actively start an install...or something launches without your knowing. With all the software that people obtain both legally and illegally, that contains who knows what....I'd rather have this extra level of protection...even being a systems admin for a living with Microsoft certifications.

I just in good faith cannot see why so many people want to disregard history and the plethora of security vulnerabilities that Windows has experienced in the past...and turn off a new feature that is there for their protection. Making newer versions of MS OS's run just like Windows 95, 98, ME or XP is not always the best course of action.
My System SpecsSystem Spec