Thread: Copying oddity
View Single Post
08 Oct 2009  
The111

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
Have you tried the Windows Easy Transfer tool? For a test of that a temp install of the 7 RC was seen on an extra drive where the backup made was then restored completely.
I am not sure what you mean by that second sentence, but I don't need any special tools to back up data folders directly.

The compression of some 232gb was down to about 95-98gb total. For going from RC to retail however you wouldn't want to be restoring programs but seeing fresh installs of each for the obvious reasons.
Again, I'm not sure what you mean by that first sentence. I am not "restoring programs" but simply configuration files. For example, here is a list of things I save when I go to a new OS install:

internet favorites
game cfg's
game saves
photoshop cfg's and actions
firefox cfg's
EVEREST cfg's

The list goes on. I used to manually grab things one by one before formatting the drive, but I risk forgetting something. So since I have tons of external storage, I just like to copy the WHOLE thing and pick and choose what I want to save from it at a later date.

For running out of space and seeing more then you bargained for as far as size you have to remember that folders contain sub folders within sub folders where some are not visible by default. You have to calculate the actual size of each once you have taken ownership and made hidden files and folders visible.
I do understand how folders work... and I know the total size of the data I wanted to transfer was 50GB. However, I found the cause of the "data too big" dilemma. I have a folder buried down in my TF2 installation for recording demos which I mapped to an external drive. Apparently it was trying to copy that entire external drive as a subfolder, although it didn't include it in my size calcs when I did "properties" on the top parent folder. Tricky.
My System SpecsSystem Spec