View Single Post
29 Oct 2009  
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit

The backup capabilities built into Windows 7 do NOT include cloning as far as I know.

Yes, Acronis True Image 2010 is one of the suitable products for cloning.

You may not have to pay for it. I think you can get a free 30 day trial that you can use for 30 days directly from Acronis. As far as I know, the trial version does not have any restrictions?

If you plan to clone or restore to a Western Digital drive, you can download a free copy of Acronis from Western Digital.

I think you can also download a free copy from Seagate if you are cloning or restoring to a Seagate drive.

Note: the catch is the brand you are cloning or restoring TO, not the brand you are cloning or restoring FROM.

These Western Digital and Seagate versions do not have any time restrictions like the 30 day trial.

Imaging (rather than cloning) would work also, but is a bit more complicated. You would have to make an image and then restore it to the new drive.

If you choose to image rather than restore, you have to have a location to store that saved image and it can't be your C partition.

Does you original hard drive that now has your C partition also have another partition, or at least enough empty space for another partition?? If so, you could place the image on the new partition, and then restore from that new partition to the new drive.

You can download the 30 day Acronis trial here:

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/

Scroll halfway down the page.
My System SpecsSystem Spec